Search Area

News & Notice

• Home
  • News & Notice
  • Press Releases

Press Releases

Professor Yoon Appointed as the First Administrator of the Korea AeroSpace Administration

담당부서
작성자
연락처

Professor Yoon Youngbin Appointed as the First Administrator of the Korea AeroSpace Administration

- John Lee, former senior advisor at NASA, appointed as Deputy Administrator for Mission Directorates

The Presidential Office announced the appointment of Professor Yoon Youngbin, a distinguished scholar from Seoul National University, as the inaugural Administrator of the Korea AeroSpace Administration (KASA). The new leadership also includes Rho Kyungwon, Director of R&D Policy at the Ministry of Science and ICT, who will serve as Deputy Administrator, and John Lee, former senior advisor at NASA, as Deputy Administrator for Mission Directorates.

Professor Yoon shared his thoughts on his appointment: "The establishment of the Korea AeroSpace Administration marks more than the birth of a new government body; it signifies the ambitious challenge of the Yoon Seok Yeol government to carve a path toward Korea's future. I am profoundly aware of the responsibility to lead this initiative. My experience in leading major projects like Nuri and Danuri will guide me in shaping an Administration that brings hope and inspiration to future generations while transforming the lives of our citizens."

Deputy Administrator Rho Kyungwon commented on his new role: "Having spearheaded the third launch of the Naro rocket, the responsibility to successfully establish this new dedicated aerospace entity weighs heavily on me. I look forward to working alongside the enthusiastic staff under the leadership of the Administrator, developing aerospace technology and fostering industry growth as mandated by the AeroSpace Administration Special Act. Our goal is to create a flexible organizational structure that is rooted in expertise and to achieve regional innovation through community collaboration."

John Lee, appointed Deputy Administrator for Mission Directorates, expressed his vision for the future of aerospace: "The journey toward the future of aerospace is not one to be undertaken alone. Having collaborated with domestic research institutions and contemplated KASA’s role in growing Korea into an aerospace powerhouse in cooperation with global nations, I am prepared to leverage my extensive experience at NASA and the White House to foster international and institutional collaborations. I am committed to identifying and leading R&D projects that capitalize on our global strengths." In his role, Lee will be responsible for overseeing all R&D activities within the administration.

The government is currently preparing the temporary headquarters of the AeroSpace Administration in Sacheon, Gyeongnam, with the official terms for the newly appointed Administrator, Deputy Administrator, and Deputy Administrator for Mission Directorates commencing on the launch day of the Administration, May 27, 2024.

For further information, please contact the Public Relations Division (Phone: +82-44-202-4034, E-mail: msitmedia@korea.kr) of the Ministry of Science and ICT. 

Please refer to the attached PDF.

KOGL Korea Open Government License, BY Type 1 : Source Indication The works of the Ministry of Science and ICT can be used under the terms of "KOGL Type 1".